Signs You Need Dental Jaw Alignment

Posted on: 6 May 2021


If you need jaw alignment for dental reasons, you should visit a dentist who specializes in orthodontics. This is a type of dentistry where the focus is alignment, placement, and correction of the teeth and jawbone.

Dental jaw alignment doesn't always have the most obvious signs. You might experience a number of issues before your dentist refers you to a specialist in orthodontics. Here are signs you have or may have dental jaw alignment needs. Your orthodontics specialist will show you dental options for repairing this condition.

Your teeth don't line up when you close your mouth

Close your mouth and run your tongue along the insides of your teeth. Do your teeth feel like they're overlapping, or can you stick your tongue between your clenched teeth? Do your teeth line up oddly when you clench your teeth to smile? If your teeth don't line up correctly, you may need braces or other dental treatments to correct the issue. Your jaw can be realigned by an orthodontics specialist to bring you comfort and a more natural feel to your mouth.

Your jaw shifts or sways when you eat

Does your jaw appear to shift or sway when you open and close your mouth, or does it shift positioning when you eat? Does it seem easier to chew food on one side of your mouth over the other? A specialist in orthodontics can assist you and take x-rays and imprints of your teeth to see if your jaw alignment isn't as reliable as it should be.

You have a jaw-related condition

Tell your orthodontics specialist if you have TMJ or you grind your teeth in your sleep. These conditions can cause your jaw to become out of alignment and often cause jaw pain and inflammation or stiffness as a result. While you can correct or alleviate symptoms of jaw issues via the help of your general dentist, if your condition is persisting or worsening, then you may be referred to an orthodontics specialist for more custom care.

Dental jaw alignment can be achieved via dental surgery, braces, mouth guards, and other treatments. What treatments you need vary depending on how severe your condition is and what other dental needs you have. Your general dentist can refer you to an orthodontist for more extensive dental care and will work alongside this specialist to keep your oral health in check. The sooner you treat a jaw-related condition, the better you'll feel, and the healthier your mouth can be.